Last Updated: May 31, 2016
A Note to Users Outside of the United States
Our Services are not directed to children and children are not eligible to use our Services. Protecting the privacy of children is very important to us. We do not collect or maintain personal information from people we actually know are under 13 years of age, and no part of our Services is designed to attract people under 13 years of age. If we later learn that a user is under 13 years of age, we will take steps to remove that user’s Personal Information from our databases and to prevent the user from utilizing the Services. Please note, in accordance with our Terms of Service, you must be 18 years of age to use the Services.
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example:
- We collect information from you that could be used (whether alone or in combination with additional information) to identify you personally (“Personal Information”), when you create an account (an “Account”), such as your first and last name, username, password, email address. We may also collect any other information you voluntarily provide to us and associate with your Account such as:
- Your phone number to verify your mobile access to the Services.
- Your physical address to verify your voter records, locate your elected representatives and candidates and to provide you news relevant to your voting district;
- Demographic information, interests and voting platforms that you care about. We collect, aggregate, and anonymize this information for elected representatives to better understand their constituents; and
- Any other information that you voluntarily choose to provide.
- When you use our geolocation feature in connection with the Application, we will collect your geolocation in order to provide you with location-based content and information (e.g. the names and information related to the elected representatives in the voting district where you are currently physically located). You may grant or revoke your consent at any time and prevent us from continuing to access your geolocation by changing the settings in your Service or on your mobile device.
- If you provide us feedback or contact us via email, we will collect your name and email address, as well as any other content included in the email, in order to send you a reply.
- When you post messages publicly to or through the Site, the information contained in your posting will be stored on our servers and other users will be able to see it.
- When you participate in one of our surveys, we may collect additional profile information.
- We may also collect personal information at other points in our Application or Site that state that personal information is being collected.
Information You Provide to Facebook and other Social Networking Sites
The Services may allow you to create an Account with Facebook or another social networking service (each, a “SNS”). When you click “Sign In” using Facebook or another SNS that we support, you will first be asked to enter your Facebook or SNS credentials and then be given the option to register for the Services. In this case, we may receive information from Facebook or another SNS to make it easier for you to create an Account on the Site and to show our relevant content from your Facebook or SNS friends. Any information that we collect from your Facebook or other SNS account may depend on the privacy settings you have with that SNS, so please consult the SNS’s privacy and data practices.
Information We May Collect When You Use the Services
When you access or use our Services, we may automatically collect the following information about you (collectively, “Anonymous Information”), as described below:
- Log information: As is true of most websites and mobile applications, we gather certain information automatically and store it in our log files. This information includes your browser type and language, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the website you visited before navigating to our website. We may also automatically collect certain information regarding your areas of personal interest, voting activity, ratings on representative information and other activities, based on the pages and content you view and click-on on the Services. We collect this information to analyze trends, administer the Services, gather demographic information about our user base as a whole, and to better tailor our Services to our user’s needs and interests.
- Device information: We may also collect non-personal information from your mobile device if you have downloaded our Application. This information is generally used to help us deliver the most relevant content to you. Examples of information that may be collected and used include your device’s hardware model, operating system and version, MAC address, unique device identifier, phone number, International Mobile Equipment Identity (“IMEI”) and mobile network information. In addition, the Services may in the future access your device’s native phonebook and image-storage applications, with your consent, to facilitate your use of certain features of the Services, such as inviting friends to icitizen. For more information about how you can control our access to these applications, please see “Your Choices” below.
- Pixel Tags: In addition, we use “Pixel Tags” (also referred to as clear Gifs, Web beacons, or Web bugs). Pixel Tags are tiny graphic images with a unique identifier, similar in function to Cookies, that are used to track online movements of Web users. In contrast to Cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, Pixel Tags are embedded invisibly in Web pages. Pixel Tags also allow us to send email messages in a format users can read, and they tell us whether emails have been opened to ensure that we are sending only messages that are of interest to our users. We may use this information to reduce or eliminate messages sent to a user.
Information We Collect from You About Others
- If you decide to invite a friend or other non-icitizen user to create an Account, we will collect your and the third party’s names and email addresses in order to send an email and follow up with the third party. We rely upon you to obtain whatever consents from the third party that may be required by law to allow us to access and upload the third party’s names and email addresses as required above. You or the third party may contact us at email@example.com to request the removal of this information from our database.
- As part of your use of the Services, we provide you the opportunity to connect automatically with your friends. We employ various techniques in order to facilitate friends finding each other on our service, including offering a contact importer tool to facilitate adding your contacts so that you can more readily ask your contacts to join and communicate with you through the Services. With your permission, we will access your address book and import your contacts’ names, email addresses, phone numbers, and geographic location to facilitate automatic connection with your friends. We do this in order to facilitate the invitation. The email that is sent to your friends will come from your email address so that your friends know that you want to invite them to visit the Site.
Use of Information
In general, the personal information you submit to us is used either to respond to requests that you make, or to aid us in serving you better. We may use information about you in the following ways:
- Provide, maintain and improve our Services, including additional functionality and content for your use, including features of a customized nature to enhance your user experience as an icitizen.
- Provide and deliver the products and services you request, process transactions and send you related information.
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service.
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages.
- Communicate with you about services and events offered by icitizen and others (such as your representatives’ activities, legislative matters, polls, etc.) through our platform, and provide news and information we think will interest you, given your expressed interests.
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services.
- Personalize and improve the Services and provide content or features that match user profiles or interests.
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service.
- Detect, investigate and/or prevent fraudulent, unauthorized or illegal activity.
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
- Send newsletters, surveys, offers and other promotional materials related to our Services and for other marketing purposes of icitizen.
Creation of anonymous data.
We may create anonymous data records from your personal information by excluding information (such as your name) that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We use this anonymous data to analyze request and usages patterns so that we may enhance the content of our Services and improve Site and Application navigation, and to amplify the aggregated voice of all users of the Services through public-facing, de-identified views of the icitizen ecosystem regarding aggregated users’ views on civic topics of interest, legislation, representative performance and other critical issues facing the world.
Sharing of Information
- Third Parties Designated by You. When you use the Services, the personal information you provide may be shared with the third parties that you designate to receive such information.
- Third Party Service Providers. We may share your personal information with third party service providers to: provide you with the Services that we offer you through our Site and Application; to conduct quality assurance testing; to facilitate the creation of Accounts; to provide technical support; and/or to provide other services to icitizen.
icitizen reserves the right to disclose Anonymous Information publicly without restriction.
You can stop all collection of information by the Application by uninstalling the Application. You may use the standard uninstall processes as may be available as part of your mobile device or via the mobile application marketplace or network.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, doing so could affect the availability and functionality of the Site and Services.
Changing or Deleting Your Personal Information
You may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information in your Account by contacting us. If you completely delete all of your Personal Information, then your Account may become deactivated, although your profile and any content associated therewith will remain on the Services unless you have deleted them. We may also retain an archived copy of your records as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. Please remember, however, if we have already disclosed some of your Personal Information to third parties, we cannot access that Personal Information any longer and cannot force the deletion or modification of any such information by the parties to which we have made those disclosures. Certain information is necessary in order for us to provide the Services; therefore, if you delete such necessary information you may not be able to use the Services.
icitizen, 615 Main St, Suite 217 Nashville, TN 37206, firstname.lastname@example.org.