How Take Back Our Republic Leveraged the Power of Public Opinion
|Poll a representative sample of the U.S. population||Generate grassroots support for issue priorities||Gauge voter sentiment on legislative initiatives|
Take Back Our Republic Seeks Data-Driven Insight to Support Campaign
Campaign finance is an ongoing, hotly contested issue that debates the involvement of money in politics, primarily in U.S. political campaigns.
In response to this debate, Take Back Our Republic (TBOR) is a national organization that researches, educates and advocates for conservative solutions for campaign finance reform.
To drive their campaign forward, they wanted to gauge U.S. sentiment on “money in politics” in a timely, cost-effective way that delivers:
- A representative measure of public opinion
- Polling availability via mobile
- Ability to easily raise awareness for an issue
icitizen Polling Services Tap into Public Opinion
icitizen provided the polling services needed to support their campaign efforts. Poll questions were designed to directly gauge constituent sentiment on whether icitizen users:
- Think that politicians should report contributions from super PACs
- Want contributions from all sources should be reported
- …among others
The in-app poll was conducted among 1,198 people from March 18 – April 14, 2016 and weighted the results to the U.S. Census benchmarks, providing a more representative view of public opinion.
The icitizen team provided a “campaign in a box” that included:
- A two-page memo detailing the poll results sent to TBOR, which they used in a presentation to their board members for increased funding
- A social media kit of ready-made posts and an email template to promote their poll, increase engagement and drive higher conversions from their social channels to their website
- A visually appealing infographic featuring the poll results, subsequently shared on TBOR’s Twitter and Facebook pages, their blog and newsletter to members and supporters
Civic Technology Drives Advocacy Efforts Forward
Advances in civic technology continue to prove that once the barriers to access public opinion are removed, special interest groups like Take Back Our Republic are able to take their advocacy efforts to new levels — driving engagement with their members and supporters through new opportunities to create collective impact
for their cause.
The poll results show that a strong majority (72%) of icitizen users believed that Super PAC donors should be revealed and that 89% believe government contractors should report their political contributions. Quantifying public sentiment on increasing transparency in campaign finance not only helps Take Back Our Republic influence legislation and government action, but also enables them to eliminate the guesswork in representing their members.
This data-driven insight from a third-party, nonpartisan source helps strengthen credibility, eliminating the assumption of bias in the results to create long-lasting impact, spur collaboration with elected representatives and ultimately drive legislative action.
“icitizen was invaluable – they helped us organize the anecdotal feedback from our launch to craft specific questions that gave us a roadmap for success. Our members and followers in 31 state chapters loved the chance to participate and easily understand the results presented by icitizen, and our National Governing Board expanded from three to 13 leaders throughout the country.”
John Pudner, Executive Director
For more info contact firstname.lastname@example.org